Friday 10 February 2012

Day 39: The Last Thing I Saw Before Bed


I spent this afternoon driving up to Sydney in with 3 colleagues for a conference that's on tomorrow. The theory was that if we drove up and stayed at the hotel the conferences is being held at the night before, we'd be in far better shape for the conference than if we all had to get up early for the first flight out of Canberra. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Two of my 3 colleagues are quite into their wine so there were 4 bottles of exceptional wine to have with dinner. Of course before drinking wines that are 20 - 30 years old you need to cleanse your palate with a beer or two.

My entree was Pigs Head Terrine, Watercress & Crispy Pigs Ear, which  was delicious despite the name being off putting to those who are a little sensitive. The main of Cape Grim Pasture-Fed Scotch Fillet & Roast Garlic Butter with sides of French Fries and Snow Peas for the table was among the best steaks I've had in a long time.

It's fair to say that these dishes were enhanced with the selection of wines provided by my colleagues and naturally after dinner we went to the pub down stairs for another cleansing ale. Then, sensibly, we decided it was time to go back to the hotel... where the bar was still open so one or two Gin & Tonics were enjoyed before being prompted to retire for the night by the closure of the hotel bar.

So much for an early night. It wasn't long before midnight when I realised that I didn't have a photo for the day, so I snapped the view from my room overlooking Darling Harbour on my iPhone before falling in to the very large and very comfortable bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment