Tuesday 31 January 2012

Day 31: A Little Light Reading


Henry has become very fond of his collection of books. It used to be that reading to him while he had his pre-bed milk was a fight to keep the book open; the novelty of closing the book mid sentence took a while to wear off.

Now one book before bed just isn't enough and he selects the evenings reading material one at a time. He toddles over to his pile of books and picks one, toddles back to the couch and hands the book over then raises his arms to be lifted onto my lap for his story. After the story is read and Henry has finished pointing at the animals in the book and saying "Baa Baa" at the sheep or "Moo Moo" at the cows, he climbs off my lap to choose his next story. This process was repeated 7 times tonight.

After the 4th time, I thought I'd try to bribe some kisses out of Henry so when he brought the 5th book over I asked for a kiss before I'd pick him up to read the next book. He shook his head and said "No". This process was repeated 3 times with the same result.

He loves his books so much now that he even ropes Jenna into reading him stories. Last weekend he presented her with 12 books, one at a time, for her to read to him. As much as I love my turn reading to Henry before bed, I also think it's very special that Henry will ask his big sister to share time reading with him and that Jenna will so happily spend the time with her little brother. I couldn't be more proud of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment